We will be continuing maintenance on the wiki starting this Saturday at 9 am (UTC) to Sunday at 7PM (UTC).
There is a possibility of long maintenance-breaks and downtime during this time.
For more information contact us in the wiki Discord or by email at: email@example.com
Is it useful to have lists of every laptop produced if there is no info on them and no guarantee that anyone will come along and fill out a page for them? I feel like it makes the wiki look like a bit of a ghost town. --VIPQualityPost (talk) 00:58, 1 June 2021 (CEST)
It's because no one listed every laptop out there that there are ambiguities where it's uncertain which laptop the repair is for, as many models go by the same name. I'm having that issue with the lenovo yoga post - which yoga? There's also mistakes in the categories too. If one person adds it all in, we wouldn't have these issues.
Answer: Yes - because one day someone will go and fill it in. Unfortunately, because there's no list of every laptop produced, I have to go and manually fill them all in just to add mine. That's ridiculous - it just makes it that much harder for people to fill in the wiki. So it's not creating the entire lists that creates a ghost town, not the other way around. Also if the lists are in, it looks like something's done. Not everything's always immediate - 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.Repair&solutions (talk) 18:26, 2 October 2021 (CEST)
Maybe a solution is a demarcation - a notation to denote where repair solutions are located, as if we put every single device in, it might be hard to find. Would that help? Another idea I have is to generate lists of all devices and series, but to put them somewhere else to access - maybe in the discussion section? What solution would everyone like? I'm just going to put it all on the main page for now, as I personally do need to have all the series and devices in place in order to work on them.
I'm debating just having a line where the laptops with repairs are at the top and then a line and underneath are the rest, so people can pick from the list to add to the top.
My proposed format:
- series will be in bold, but not the electronic device, but'll be the same in terms of being bulleted and font size
- all devices in a series will be in the wiki page of the series, not on the main page
- the name of a title below a category shouldn't start with the category name in the front of its name (ex - if it's a samsung galaxy series, the ones underneath shouldn't say 'samsung galaxy 1, etc. it should just say 1)
* note that the page that links to the category will have the complete name, or it's going to be mistaken for other series' with the same name.
- model number goes after the device name, if applicable
my modified version of alphabetical order: 1st - letters 2nd - numbers 3rd - words