3189 2 in 1
The Dell Latitude 3189 was a mid-2017 Windows laptop developed in response to the demand for more robust devices for K12 schools.
In the coming days, I will populate this page with simple fixes to the most common issues I have experienced. This page is a work in progress, started on June 14, 2021.
- Not powering on, or appears to not charge
- (Internal MB cable loose, will add pics)
- Left hinge failure, the brass heatserts break out of the chassis. Preventative measures best, if it gets wiggly then tighten the screws.
- SSD is serviceable
- Wireless NIC failure is not serviceable
- Intel SSDs are notorious for failure
- M.2 is SATA only
- Keyboard model, cheap to replace.
- US English: 0343NN and 343NN
- Audio daughter board separate module, can be replaced if broken
- LCD assembly kit link
- Track pad ribbon cable not seated properly
- How to determine if it is the charger or battery, battery communication in BIOS
- HP chargers will likely not work, must use Dell branded chargers. Use knockoffs at your own peril.
Error light codes, common one is 3, 5
|LED FLASH SEQUENCE||FAULT DESCRIPTION||FAULT(S)|
|2,1||CPU||Possible CPU Failure|
|2,2||Motherboard BIOS||Motherboard, Covers BIOS Corruption or ROM Error|
|2,3||Memory||No memory / RAM detected|
|2,4||Memory||Memory / RAM failure|
|2,5||Memory||Invalid Memory Installed|
|2,6||Motherboard Chipset||Motherboard / Chipset Error|
|2,8||LCD||LCD Power Rail Failure|
|3,1||RTC Power Failure||CMOS Battery Failure|
|3,2||PCI / Video||PCI or Video Card / Chip Failure|
|3,3||BIOS Recovery 1||Recovery Image Not Found|
|3,4||BIOS Recovery 2||Recovery Image Found But Invalid|
|3,5||Power Rail Failure||EC ran into power sequencing failure|
|3,6||SBIOS Flash Corruption||Flash corruption detected by SBIOS|
|3,7||ME Error||Timeout waiting on ME to reply to HECI|